Photographs taken for the purpose of recording a child or a group of children participating in activities, celebrating their achievements is an effective from of recording their progression in the Early Years Foundation Stage. However, it is essential that photographs are taken and stored appropriately to safeguard the children in our care.
- Each room shall be appointed a nursery camera which is to be used to take any photo within the setting or on outings.
- Images taken on the camera must be deemed suitable without putting the child/children in any compromising positions that could cause embarrassment or distress.
- All staff are responsible for the location of the camera; this should be placed in the office when not in use.
- The camera’s and Ipad’s must be locked away in the office at the end of every session.
- Images taken and stored on the camera must be downloaded as soon as possible, ideally daily or a minimum of once a week.
- Key people or nursery admin staff are responsible for downloading and printing photographs. These must be downloaded onto the nursery data key, which MUST stay on the nursery site.
- Under no circumstances must cameras of any kind be taken into the bathrooms without prior consultation with the manager or leader. If photographs need to be taken in a bathroom i.e. photographs of the children washing their hands, then the manger or leader must be asked first and staff be supervised whilst carrying out this kind of activity. At all times the camera must be placed in a prominent place where it can be seen.
- Failure to adhere to the contents of this policy will lead to disciplinary procedures being followed.
In the event of the camera or tablet being lost, it must be reported to the police immediately.