In the event that a child is not collected by an authorised adult, we will ensure that the child receives a high standard of care in order to cause as little distress as possible. We inform parents/carers of our procedures so that, if they are unavoidably delayed, they will be reassured that their children will be properly cared for.
1. Parents of children starting at the nursery are asked to provide specific information which is recorded on our Registration Form, including:
· Home address and telephone number – if the parents do not have a telephone, an alternative number must be given, perhaps a neighbour’s;
· Place of work, address and telephone number (if applicable);
· Mobile telephone number (if applicable);
· names, addresses, telephone numbers and passwords of adults who are authorised by the parents to collect their child from the nursery , for example a childminder or grandparent, information about any person who does not have legal access to the child.
2. On occasions when parents are aware that they will not be at home or in their usual place of work, they will inform us of who to contact in case of emergency.
3. On occasions when parents or the persons normally authorised to collect the child are not able to collect the child, they inform us who will be collecting their child. We agree with parents how the identification of the person who is to collect their child will be verified.
4. Parents are informed that if they are not able to collect the child as planned, they must inform us so that we can begin to take back-up procedures. We provide parents with our contact telephone number. We also inform parents that – in the event that their children are not collected from nursery by an authorised adult and the staff can no longer supervise the child in our premises – we apply our safe guarding procedures as set out in our safeguarding children policy.
5. If a child is not collected at the end of the session/day, we follow the following procedures:
- The message Book is checked for any information about changes to the normal collection routines;
- If no information is available, parents/carers are contacted at home or at work;
- If this is unsuccessful, the adults who are authorised by the parents to collect their child from pre-school – and whose telephone numbers are recorded on the Registration Form – are contacted;
- All reasonable attempts are made to contact the parents/carers, for example a neighbour is contacted or another member of staff visits the child’s home;
- The child stays at pre-school in the care of two fully-vetted workers until the child is safely collected;
- The child does not leave the premises with anyone other than those named on the Registration Form and in the message Book;
- if no-one collects the child and the premises are closing, or staff are no longer available to care for the child, we apply the procedures set out in our Child Protection Policy. We contact our local authority social services department (telephone number …………….……………………………..……. ) and inform Ofsted (telephone number 0845 601 4771) and our local Pre-school Learning Alliance office/Pre-school Development Worker (telephone number 01908 263700.);
- A full written report of the incident is recorded; and depending on circumstances, we reserve the right to charge parents for the additional hours worked by our staff.